No matter what business you may be in, your marketing technology stack is a critical part of your success and is a big determining factor in the effectiveness of your advertising and marketing efforts. What is a marketing technology stack and why does it matter?
What Is A Marketing Technology Stack? What Are Its Components?
The term “marketing technology stack” refers to the grouping of any technologies used by marketers to conduct their activities. The goal of marketing technologies is to streamline processes and workflows, and gather better metrics relating to the success of marketing efforts, allowing for efficient spending and continuous improvement.
This means that there is a wide range of components in a typical marketing stack, such as:
- Content management system (CMS) for blogging, websites, and advertising on relevant web properties
- Advertising tools, such as search engine marketing (SEM) tools like Google AdWords, as well as software for ad retargeting, display ads, attribution, and analytics
- Email and newsletter services, often as part of a marketing automation platform
- Insights and analytics tools, like Google Analytics
- Experience optimization tools to enable A/B testing of ads and get actionable feedback to improve marketing and advertising efforts
Best Practices for Building Your Marketing Technology Stack
As you build your marketing technology stack, you need to make sure you don’t overspend and that you invest in the right tools. Here are a few tips and best practices:
- Start by understanding your overall business strategy and marketing goals and choose marketing technologies accordingly
- Try to minimize overlap in your marketing stack. In other words, invest in tools that you don’t already have. For example, you shouldn’t use two different marketing automation tools, in most cases, especially if you can make do with just one.
- Build on your existing marketing stack rather than trying to overhaul the entire system from the ground-up. As time goes on, you can modify and remove certain systems naturally, which helps minimize confusion and maximizes efficiency.
- Create a formal methodology and workflow for accessing your stacks, to streamline employee efficiency and aid in onboarding new marketing workers
Build Your Marketing Technology Stack Wisely for Better Results
With these tips, you’re sure to be able to invest in the right technologies for your business in the B2B space.